Whenever we have bananas that are too ripe to eat, I throw them in the freezer until I have enough to use in some sort of treat. These cookies are wholesome, nutritious, moist, and delicious.
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup white
1/2 brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 mashed bananas
1 3/4 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 dried cranberries or raisins (or both)
Other add-ins you can throw in that increase yumminess:
blueberries, dried cherries, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 ° F.
- Put cranberries/raisins in a small sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and let soak for 10 min. while preparing rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In an large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, banana, oatmeal and nuts. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients, mix well and drop by the teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until edges turn lightly brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Makes about three dozen cookies.